Climbing Mount Hibok-Hibok

I reserved my second day in Camiguin climbing Mt. Hibok-Hibok. I guess I became addicted to mountain climbing after trekking Mt. Pundaquit in Zambales about a month prior to date. The feeling is just so indescribable when you reached the summit and the view from the top is the best reward.

At the night of October 04, Kuya Ronald texted me if I would still pursue my climb because it was raining cats and dogs at that night. I replied to him and asked if it would be safe to climb despite the heavy rains, he said that it is climbable but its up to me. So I told him that if the rain would not stop until the morning, I will cancel the climb.

I rose to bed early and was happy to see that the sky was bright. We started our trek at 7:30 in the morning. in Yumbing market which is our jump off point. Jump off point was Yumbing Market, which is 6 kilometers from Mambajao.

The first few kilometers was fairly flat and gradual inclines, but I have to secure my footing since the terrain was slippery. There is no need to worry of being exposed to direct sunlight since the terrain is lushly covered with trees. We were also covered with fogs and had a close encounter with a snake. So be cautious.

We stopped at the halfway point where a small house was built but was already destroyed. Kuya Ronald advised me that the next hour would be assaults. Sometimes, you need to haul yourself and cling to the roots of the trees.

It was almost 12 o'clock when we reached the crater. We stopped for a while for the lunch. I only brought few pieces of cookies because I had a heavy breakfast.

From the crater, the summit is still about an hour depending on your pace. The trail going to the summit is very rocky and you need to climb huge boulders. I felt that my lungs and heart were already working overtime.

We reached the summit past 12 o'clock. I was really lucky when the fog clear up allowing me to see the entire crater of Mt. Hibok-Hibok. However, the fog is still too thick for me to see the islands of Bohol, Siquijor and Surigao. The white island is also visible from the summit when the sky is clear.

I can feel that my tummy was already grumping, so we started our descent at 1:30 in the afternoon. The endpoint would be the Ardent Hot Spring, which is best to rejuvenate my tortured muscles. The steps going down was extremely high because the soils where eroded. Even before we reached halfway, I can feel that my legs started to tremble. We stopped at Phivolcs Observatory which is halfway point from Ardent, to regain our strength. We got back down by 3 o'clock.