Since i was bitten by travel bug, I've been traveling solo. The experience of traveling alone in an unfamiliar place was just too liberating for me and at the same time addictive. I felt that I could enjoy the place more when I'm all by myself than being in a group. Of course traveling alone is not for fainthearted because everything will be your responsibility. Honestly, i was very apprehensive and scared during my first solo trip because i do not know whats going to happen while I'm out there. I felt walking naked and vulnerable of getting fooled and deceived. What if i got lost, what if i got injured, what if i run out of money and etc. were some of the questions i had in mind prior to embarking this solo trip.
For some, traveling alone is boring because you have no one to share the experience and thrill with. I admit that there are times when i get bored but i would say that being alone inevitably leads you to more communication with the locals unknown to you or other solo travelers like you. I used to be a introvert type of person but my traveling solo developed my interpersonal skills and i learned to interact with other groups.
Probably one of the reason i am traveling solo is my being impatient. It is just a waist of time waiting for my companion or companions while bathing, dressing, eating and etc. Solo traveling gave me a total control of my time and choice. I can go wherever i want, eat whatever i like and not have to consider others.
I only have vague plans beforehand when i travel. I am not the type of person traveling with a fixed itinerary. Usually i consult the locals regarding the place worth to be visited in their locality which may lead to visiting sights that are off the beaten track. However, there are times that the locals themselves does not know much of their place.
Things to remember when traveling alone:
1. Don't travel completely alone. Always bring your cellphones with emergency contact numbers stored in it. Also update you family from time to time about your situation.
2. Don't leave the house without informing your family as to where you are going and how long you will be gone.
3. Bring sufficient amount of money. Remember you are traveling alone and there would be no one backing you up when you run out of money. When traveling abroad, always make sure you have reliable credit and debit cards.
4. Don't pack too much. Traveling with more than one bag is just a hassle and expensive. Believed me, you won't be using everything inside your bag.
5. When transferring from one location to another, make sure you arrived while the sun is still up. Arriving when its already dark will make you more of a target. Its also dangerous to travel at night.
Much has bee said about my take on solo traveling. My habit of solo traveling was broken during my recent trip to Sagada where i met fellow travelers. Next time i will be posting about my first travel experience with companions.